Seven Original Sins of K&R (Long)

David T. Sandberg dts at quad.sialis.mn.org
Wed Oct 3 18:01:13 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct2.040019.1635 at ccu.umanitoba.ca> salomon at ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dan Salomon) writes:
>Much more code is going to be written in C than currently exists.
>Should we sacrifice all the code to come for the sake of the existing
>code?

Apples and oranges.  Maintaining backward compatibility doesn't
"sacrifice" all future code... it just means that you can't have
every toy construct you may want.  That in and of itself doesn't
prevent you from using the language, and is not nearly so serious
as the problems that would be caused by breaking most every bit
of existing code (a real, quantifiable sacrifice).

--
 \\         David Sandberg          \     ,=,       ,=,           \\
 //     dts at quad.sialis.mn.org      /     | |uadric '=,ystems     //