meaning of continue (WAS: Some interesting novice questions [...

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Tue Oct 30 14:39:48 AEST 1990

In article <27261 at mimsy.umd.edu> chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
> If you are working with a C system that predates ANSI X3.159-1989, the
> book that resulted is the best reference you can buy.  (Note that K&R
> 1st ed. is not intended as a reference work.  Neither is K&R 2, for
> that matter, but it is for ANSI C, not pre-ANSI C.)

I have to disagree with this. K&R (the real one) can be used as a
reference. If you recognize its ambiguities as true ambiguities, you'll
write much more portable code.

I don't think I've ever used an enum. Why not? Because they aren't in
the language I think of as C. The result? My code is more portable.
Would this be true if I used H&S as a reference? I doubt it.

---Dan