Null Pointer Assignment

Kevin D. Quitt kdq at demott.COM
Sat Oct 13 02:29:11 AEST 1990

In article <15004 at mentor.cc.purdue.edu> schikore at mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Schikore) writes:
>What exactly does the run-time error "Null Pointer Assignment" mean?
>
>printf("done\n");
>exit(0);
>
>at the end of my main, and when executed, it says
>
>done
>Null Pointer Assignment

    I would guess that you're using Microsoft C, which reserves a small
portion at the beginning of the data as to try to detect the use of null
pointers, and to help you avoid other side effects.  This area has a known
value (the Microsoft copyright info), and it is checked upon exit.

    If the data are not correct, you've written thru a null pointer, and
you get the above error message.

    I assume further that if you're not using Mirosoft C, your C compiler
does something similar.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq at demott.com
DeMott Electronics Co. 14707 Keswick St.   Van Nuys, CA 91405-1266
VOICE (818) 988-4975   FAX (818) 997-1190  MODEM (818) 997-4496 PEP last

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.