Request code for log-file mechanism

Marco Nijdam marco at westc.uucp
Wed Oct 17 19:46:23 AEST 1990

Dear netters,

We are writing an application that must keep a log-file of the
actions that where taken. It is possible that more than one
process writes to a log file at the same time. It would therefore
be very convenient that the processes can not write to the
same log-file, or even better, that the logging mechanism is
intelligent enough to allow several processes to log things
in the same file, without causing file corruption. Due to the
nature of the application, the logging mechanism must be very
reliable. Furthermore, the application will be running on multiple
platforms, including Sun and VAX,, so a portable routine it
preferred. The application is written in C.

I am sure that such a logging mechanism has been written before
hundreds of times. So I do not want to invent the wheel all over
again. The problem is to find it.

Therefore, can anyone give us a lead where I can obtain a routine
or library in C that implements the above described logging function,
preferably in public domain, or commercial. Or if someone has such a
thing lying around, can you send it to me. It must however be royalty
free and include source code, so we can maintain it.
Also, if you have something that implements only part of our wishes,
we are interested.

Please reply by email.

M.D. Nijdam

-- Marco Nijdam, marco at westc.nl  OR  mcsun!hp4nl!westc!marco
-- West Consulting bv, Phoenixstraat 49, 2611 AL  Delft, The Netherlands
--                     P.O. Box 3318,    2601 DH  Delft
-- Tel: +31-15-123190, Fax: +31-15-147889