Converting long variable names to names <8 characters

Peter Marshall peter at ria.ccs.uwo.ca
Fri Oct 5 14:38:23 AEST 1990

Most code these days uses variables that have more than 8 significant
characters.  I recently purchased a system (a convergent CG1000
Miniframe -- a Motorola 68010 based system) that has a compiler that
has the original 8 character limit on variable names.  I haven't been
able to find a conversion routine that would systematically convert
long names to shorter ones.  Is there such a beast?

One of the primary candidates for conversion would be the gcc
compiler.  Once it is running, I suspect that file name problems would
be either eliminated or at least reduced (I have not yet determined
the limitations of the linker).  Is there either a version of gcc that
has been hand converted to 8 character names or a binary that would be
compatible with my machine available?

I'll try to follow this group for a while (not my usual haunt) but
e-mail responses would be preferred.  I'll summarize to this group if
I get anything interesting back.
Peter Marshall, Data Comm. Manager
CCS, NSC, U. of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5B7 (519)661-2111x6032
peter.marshall at uwo.ca pm at uwovax (BITNET); peter at ria.uucp