Introductory C Texts <SUMMARY>

Jim Miller jamiller at hpcupt1.cup.hp.com
Wed Oct 24 03:47:25 AEST 1990

gordon at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:

>ferrick at acsu.buffalo.edu (patrick k ferrick) writes:
>
>>A while back I posted asking for advice on a good C text, and since
>>I promised to post a summary of the results, here goes:
>

>>1. The C Programming Language - (Kernighan & Ritchie)
>>   --------------------------
>
>	This is a good _reference_ book, but I would not recommend it for a
>beginner trying to learn C by reading.
>----------

I thought it was VERY good for a beginner (me, several years ago).
Far better than many other tutorials.  15 pages per concept puts me to sleep,
I perfer to spend my time understanding a concept as opposed to spending
my time trying to *find* the concept.

Of course I was not a beginner programmer, just a beginner C-coder.

However, for me, I think it would have been an excellent beginner text --
definitely better than the IBM reference manuals I used in order to learn
FORTRAN IID and IBM 1130 assembly language.

   jim miller
   jamiller at hpmpeb7.cup.hp.com
   (a.k.a James A. Miller; Jim the JAM; stupid; @!?$$!; ... )
   Anything I say will be used against me ...
   But my company doesn't know or approve or condone anything of mine here.