a style question

Steve Friedl friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US
Fri Oct 5 14:45:57 AEST 1990

In article <4762 at navy8.UUCP>, kreidler at motcid.UUCP (Joe Kreidler) writes:

> As software systems keep getting larger and more complex, it is
> important to develop code that is easy to understand and can be ported
> to new applications. This comes at the cost of less efficient code
> (when compared to assembler).

This is seductive but true only superficially.

Q: Given two equally-talented teams of programmers, one using C and
   one using assembler, which team will produce the system with best
   execution time for a non-trivial program?

A: The team writing in C.  While the assembler folks are busy optimizing
   that inner loop, the C people are testing three different algorithms
   to see which one is *really* faster.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / I speak for me only / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"There are no technical problems that marketing can't overcome" - Gary W. Keefe