String Generation/Combination

Julian ANIGBOGU anigbogu at loria.crin.fr
Fri Oct 26 20:16:52 AEST 1990

Thanks to all the people who responded with algorithms and programs.
I've tried to reply individually but at the same time send to the net
so I don't get more responses.

Maybe I didn't frame the question correctly or did not give sufficient
information but I can guarantee you it wasn't a homework assignment.
It was for a character recognition problem where for each character
recognized their is an attached alias which can be identical or
different and so I thought it might be interesting to generate all
possible combinations. Only one Paul Hilfinger deduced from my
affiliation that it couldn't have been homework. Thanks Paul.

At the risk of calling down flames on my head, but I thought the net
was for the exchange of ideas. What's the use of re-inventing the
wheel if somebody has already solved an identical before you. I've had
occasions to send in my little contribution too. Although it's not
wise to solve student's homeworks for them, but it's a risk that's
worth taking otherwise genuine problems won't ever get solved.

Julian