Answers to 'can I nest comments?'

Russell A. Fink rfink at eng.umd.edu
Sat Oct 13 02:47:37 AEST 1990

Just a follow-up note to the question I asked a couple of days back.
Thanks to all who gave answers. For the record, the unanimous
concensus was that nested comments become whitespace, or, more
specifically,
     printf( "The value of number is: %d.\n", num/* this is obnoxious */ber );
becomes
     printf( "The value of number is: %d.\n", num ber );

HOWEVER, that is just the standard implementation. Several compilers will
reportedly generate
     printf( "The value of number is: %d.\n", number );

although, by K&R et. al., there are no guarantees.

"What in hades would you want with that", you ask? Well, I am trying to make
a lex program to parse c input, or at least strip out comments, and no
mention was made on how this class project is supposed to handle such input;
I figured I'd try to mimick standard conventions as much as possible.

Thanks, usenauts!

--
  //        //____     rfink at eng.umd.edu
 //        //          University of Maryland