long identifiers

Jim Miller jamiller at hpcupt1.cup.hp.com
Wed Oct 31 04:22:46 AEST 1990

>                      As regards MS-DOS, you're right again, although
>I might point out that UNIX makes for a more "portable" environment in
>the qualitative sense (it runs on many different processors in systems
>of many different sizes and configurations).
>
>-- Kev
>----------

Ah, "qualitative"?
   Do you want it to run on the most MACHINES?                 MS-DOS
   Do you want it to run on the most SELLER'S machines?        MS-DOS
   Do you want it to run on the most MANUFACTURER'S machines?  MS-DOS
   Do you want it to run on the most different CPU (chip/CPU only, not
      including differences in mother boards)?                 UNIX
   Do you want it to run on the most wide range of mips?       UNIX(?)
   Do you want it to run on a standard OS that all sellers agree on
      the implementation?                                      MS-DOS

      (sorry I couldn't resist that last poke).

I'm claiming you have picked a meaning of "qualitative" that is
self serving.   *I* never pick my definitions that way :-)

   jim - ok. ok. so it's a drift - miller
   jamiller at hpmpeb7.cup.hp.com
   (a.k.a James A. Miller; Jim the JAM; stupid; @!?$$!; ... )
   Anything I say will be used against me ...
   But my company doesn't know or approve or condone anything of mine here.