a style question

Richard Tobin richard at aiai.ed.ac.uk
Thu Oct 4 03:00:30 AEST 1990

In article <557 at iccdev.indcomp.com> jd at iccdev.indcomp.com (J.D. Laub) writes:
>john at IASTATE.EDU (Hascall John Paul) writes:
>I beleive one HP optimizer manual recommened pre inc/dec, but I cannot
>find the manual to confirm.  Anyone know why they made this recommendation?

Some processors have auto-increment/decrement addressing modes, and
some of them do not have both pre- and post- forms.  For example, (if
I recall correctly) the PDP-11 had post-increment and pre-decrement,
but not the other two.  The asymmetry makes sense for implementing
stacks.

-- Richard

Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin at uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.                UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!R.Tobin