Introductory C Texts <SUMMARY>

Erik Naggum enag at ifi.uio.no
Tue Oct 23 15:46:10 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct23.035556.4068 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gordon at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:

   ferrick at acsu.buffalo.edu (patrick k ferrick) writes:

   >A while back I posted asking for advice on a good C text, and since
   >I promised to post a summary of the results, here goes:

   >1. The C Programming Language - (Kernighan & Ritchie)
   >   --------------------------

	   This is a good _reference_ book, but I would not recommend
   it for a beginner trying to learn C by reading.

I beg to differ.  It is written for people who already know
programming concepts, as is clearly stated in the foreword or
introduction, but it contains enough good exercise material to
be quite a good text book.  I've used it for courses in C, and
found that familiarity with the reference material in the back
was very useful for the students after the course.

Good textbooks don't just fade away.

--
[Erik Naggum]		Naggum Software; Gaustadalleen 21; 0371 OSLO; NORWAY
	I disclaim,	<erik at naggum.uu.no>, <enag at ifi.uio.no>