a style question

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Thu Oct 4 04:55:29 AEST 1990

In article <2039 at excelan.COM> donp at novell.com (don provan) writes:
> If you're only going to be typing the name three or four times, what's
> the advantage keeping it a single character?  Readability?

Readability, to some extent. People are used to this notation from
mathematics, and this provides the necessary context. If you give it a
"real" name then you start to wonder what it might be used for outside
the loop. I, myself, tend to use "i", "j", and so on for indices in
loops, and named variables for anything that has a scope outside the
loop.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`