Microsoft C 6.0 Base Pointer

Jen Che Huang huangj at mist.cs.orst.edu
Tue Oct 30 10:51:08 AEST 1990

Has anybody effectively use base pointers in MSC 6.0?  I was wondering if
there is an increase in your code speed or not?

My real question is, since base pointers work off segments and the
maximum size of a segment on a PC is 64K, what happens when I need more
than 64K of memory.  Can I increase the size of segment that it allocates
in increments of 64K (64, 128, 192, etc.)?

And when I free the memory, does the memory get free back to DOS (or in
my case OS/2) or does the program keep the memory until termination?

Thanks
Jim Huang