Is there a good example of how toupper() works?

Jeffrey T. Hutzelman jh4o+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Oct 20 01:11:26 AEST 1990

I wrote:

> No.  In ANSI C, toupper is required to leave the character alone if it
> is not lowercase.

However, as several people have pointed out to me, BSD 4.3 UNIX does not
follow this rule.  I ran the test program on the following machine
types, and got the folowing results:

Machine              O/S               Works Correctly?
-------              ---               ----------------
DECstation 3100      4.3 BSD*          Yes
Sun 3                4.2 BSD**         No
VAXstation 3100      VMS 5.4           Yes
Apple IIgs           GS/OS 5.0.2       Should, but not
                     ORCA/C 1.1        actually tested***

*or so it claims (Ultrix V something)
**or so it claims (I think SunOS 3.5)
***I didn't test it, but it claims to work that way.
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet/BITNET:jh4o+ at andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz at drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu,
                jh4o at cmuccvma