Life after free?

John Bickers jbickers at templar.actrix.co.nz
Sat Oct 6 04:59:56 AEST 1990

Quoted from - kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley	):
> In article <1990Oct5.002416.3196 at nntp-server.caltech.edu> manning at nntp-server.caltech.edu (Evan Marshall Manning) writes:
> >You're missing the point.  Of course you can do what you like with your
> >data.  But when you free() it you return it to the OS.  And anybody else
> >can end up with your data when they next malloc().
>
> Which OS is that on?  At the risk of exhibiting "small world" syndrome,
> in UNIX, malloc and free work within the confines of the heap, which

    The Amiga's Exec, for example.

> terminates.  I'd hazard that other multi-tasking OS's like VMS behave
> similarly.

    I'd hazard that a multi-tasking OS where programs to not run in
    seperate virtual address spaces behaves similarly to Exec wrt how
    memory is allocated and deallocated.

--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.         jbickers at templar.actrix.co.nz ***
***          "All I can do now is wait for the noise." - Numan          ***