SCCS REVISION HISTORY

joseph.a.brownlee jbr0 at cbnews.att.com
Thu Oct 25 21:59:52 AEST 1990

In article <MEISSNER.90Oct24151352 at osf.osf.org>, meissner at osf.org (Michael
Meissner) writes:
> Without building programs that sit on top of sccs, I don't know of
> anyway to automagically add the revision history.

Without building a program that sits on top of SCCS, you can't do much of
_anything_ with it.  I wrote such a system using shell scripts for a previous
employer.  It automatically made what some people call "s-lists", or lists of
the version of each source file associated with a given version of the binary.
It also handled things like only making deltas of those files that had actually
been changed and creating "what" labels in the generated binaries.

A solution like this can be written, but it isn't exactly trivial to do, and
as with anything, your returns in convenience are directly proportional to
the effort you expend in writing it.  And, once you get going with it, you
find that even a small bug in your front-end programs can wreak havoc.  Still,
if in a similar situation, I might write something like this again, because
it _was_ useful and I believe it did save a lot of time and effort.

Disclaimer:  No, I do not have a copy of those scripts.

--
   -      _   Joe Brownlee, Analysts International Corp. @ AT&T Network Systems
  /_\  @ / `  471 E Broad St, Suite 1610, Columbus, Ohio 43215   (614) 860-7461