H&S (WAS: meaning of continue)

Stephen Clamage steve at taumet.com
Wed Oct 31 02:54:45 AEST 1990

brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>I don't think I've ever used an enum. Why not? Because they aren't in
>the language I think of as C. The result? My code is more portable.
>Would this be true if I used H&S as a reference? I doubt it.

Sounds like you have never actually read H&S.  They are careful to
describe what was in old versions of C, common extensions, and what
to do for the most portable code in cases where compilers have
diverged (as with enums).  So the answer to your last question, your
code is likely to be very portable among pre-ANSI compilers if you
read and follow the advice in H&S.  (If you are fortunate enough to
be able to use ANSI compilers, you can be sure of code portability
with a much wider range of language features.)

Steve Clamage, TauMetric Corp, steve at taumet.com