Why use (void) func() ? (lint beef)

Flint Pellett flint at gistdev.gist.com
Thu Oct 4 00:52:58 AEST 1990

Something I think would help lint a lot would be the following two options:

1. An option to ignore extern declarations made in a .h that aren't used.
   (Ever run lint on something that #includes <curses.h>?  You get to wade
   through 3 pages of curses routines that were extern'ed but not used.)
   The same goes for declarations I put in my own .h files.  Now if I have
   an extern right there in the file that I haven't used, I want to know
   about that, but if it's in some .h, who cares?

2. An option to not print out all the "function declared but never used"
   and "function referenced but never declared".  When you have a real
   big program spanning 100 files, you'd like to be able to run lint on
   just one file at a time as you work on that one file-- but when you
   do, you get reports about all the functions you used from the other
   files, and about the fact that nobody is calling any of the subroutines
   that you have in that one file.  Basically, all I want is a quick
   syntax & types check, without a check on external references.
--
Flint Pellett, Global Information Systems Technology, Inc.
1800 Woodfield Drive, Savoy, IL  61874     (217) 352-1165
uunet!gistdev!flint or flint at gistdev.gist.com