Problems running the C compiler on a 3B2

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Oct 6 11:25:14 AEST 1990

In article <255 at dean1.usma.edu> aj4640 at dean1.acd.usma.edu writes:
>While running the makefile that came with the X11R4 release tape
>(from mit), several files failed to compile, exiting with
>error messages that said "too many defines" and "no space".
>
>These are preprocessor messages I think.  THe files are OK and
>don't appear to have any recursive includes.  I've plenty of
>disk space.  Cany anyone help with the cause?  the cure?

The cause is that your vender (AT&T in this case) compiled cpp with
table sizes that are too small.  (The tables keep track of the #defines,
and other such stuff).

This is a typical problem (when I used to port an office automation
package we ran into this problem on many systems and usually had to
bring along our own cpp.

A solution for you would be to get the gnu-cpp that comes with GCC and
compile that piece to use instead of the standard cpp.  (I'm not sure
if GCC has been ported to a 3b2, but that shouldn't matter since all you
need is the cpp).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170