long identifiers

Bill Poser poser at csli.Stanford.EDU
Mon Oct 22 18:39:57 AEST 1990

I like to use long descriptive identifier names, even for
external functions. The standard does not guarantee that
these will all be unique, due to the existence of nasty crufty
old linkers that may not distinguish them. On the machines
on which I am accustomed to working (HP 9000/300 series, SUN 3 and 4,
Microvax, VAX, all under UNIX) I have never encountered a problem.
Are there any modern workstations, minis, or micros on which I am
likely to encounter a problem, or am I correct in assuming that
all of the problematic linkers are on old machines or mainframes
that I am very unlikely to care about?

						Bill Poser