Ambiguity in definition of setjmp/longjmp makes them much less useful

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Wed Oct 10 09:25:08 AEST 1990

> > Of course, you need to do this in BSD, but BSD is buggier than a dog pound.

> Say what? I've written large BSD applications that don't do anything
> inside signal handlers other than set flags. Where's this ``need'' you
> talk about?

To use an alarm to break a read. In system V you can do that just by setting
a flag. In BSD you have to longjmp out. Now you'll tell me to use sockets. I'm
allergic to objects outside the UNIX filesystem name space.

> And if you're going to insist that BSD is buggier than SysV,
> how about some proof?

I didn't say that. I said BSD is buggier than a dog pound. That doesn't
imply that System V *isn't*. I just tend to trust System V more because
it shows fewer signs of feeping creaturism. Fewer places for bugs to
hide. In retrospect the awful tardiness of AT&T in getting streams into
someplace you can do something useful with them might be a blessing.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`
peter at ferranti.com