hash function for text in C

cameron shelley cpshelley at violet.waterloo.edu
Wed Oct 17 04:49:51 AEST 1990

(Greeting(time == morning? Goodmorning: (
            time == afternoon? Goodafternoon:
            Goodevening)
         )
);

  I have been (futily :<) experimenting with hash functions to
hash english words into a large array.  No book I can find around
here gives the topic more than cursory discussion.  Does anyone
out there know of a good, simple one?  They must exist, and I'm
getting a little tired of mine... (er, function that is, I can't
afford another data structures book right now :).

  I'll be happy to post mine if anyone needs a good laugh, btw.

				Cam

--
      Cameron Shelley        | "Saw, n.  A trite popular saying, or proverb.
cpshelley at violet.waterloo.edu|  So called because it makes its way into a