Summary of C Compilers from INFOWORLD

Brian K. W. Hook jdb at reef.cis.ufl.edu
Sun May 12 09:05:52 AEST 1991

While perusing the April 8 issue of InfoWorld I noticed they did a
comparison of C compilers.  I am posting a summary for those that may be
interested.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:

"The best overall package is Borland C++ 2.0.  It provides a superb
integrated environment for developing both DOS and Windows applications.

Inclusion of the Whitewater Resource Toolkit obviates the need for the MS
SDK for Windows, a less robust tool set.

Our only complaints are the lack of OS/2 support and the fact that the
Programmer's Platform, Borland C++'s integrated development environment, is
not a Windows application.

Zortech C++ 2.18 is a worth competitor.  Its WorkBench integrated
environment is delightfully easy to use, and this package, unlike Borland
C++, has a variety of object tools if you want to take advantage of its
object-oriented programming capabilities.  Debugging tools could be
improved only with the addition of a Windows debugger.

You can't go wrong with MSC 6.0a, the de facto industry standard.  It's one
of two packages here that supports DOS, Windows, and OS/2.

Programmer's Workbench is an excellent development environment, and
CodeView takes the pain out of Debugging.  Overall, Microsoft C is the best
choice for someone who needs only a straight C compiler.

Watcom C, versioy n8.0 also supports DOS, Windows, and OS/2 development.
Its integrated environment is still somewhat immature, but the debugger is
superb and offers great verstaility in remote debugging.

At only 250 dollars, Lattice C 6.05 is priced right.  It supports DOS and
OS/2 applicatioms development and includes an excellent set of application
libraries.  Without the benefit of an update for almost a year, Lattice C
is struggling to keep up with the times.  Nevertheless, for someone looking
for an inexpensive, quality C compiler, Lattice would be a good choice.

MetaWare C, 1.61, is a straight C compiler with some utilities thrown in.
You'll have to provide your own debugger, Make utility, linker, and other
tools.  Because it costs so much for so little, it's difficult to recommend
it."

WELL, that's it.  Some comments that I would like to throw in are that the
Programmer's WorkBench of MSC, in my opinion, is HIDEOUS.  Also, the
magazine fails to include Turbo C++ (a 70 dollar competitor) which would've
been a KILLER against Lattice C.  The lack of including Mix C, another
efficient low cost compiler, was an injustice to Mix Software.

Other than that, I hope that was informative.

Brian