C language book recommendations

Wild Rider robertsw at ...!asuvax!gtephx
Thu May 16 02:23:10 AEST 1991

	In article <1991May7.131019.17480 at eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>
	smbrush at lims01.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>In article <1991May6.101403.1 at mscf.med.upenn.edu>, reivich1 at mscf.med.upenn.edu writes...
>>I am looking for recommendations for a C Programming book. I already have
>>"The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie (2nd edition). I am now

	[ ... etc. ... ]

>>Samir
>
>"A Book on C", Al Kelley & Ira Pohl, Benjamin/Cummings, 1990
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
	allow me to offer a differing opinion on this book.

	i taught a 200 level course on c programming in which this
	book had been selected as the course text before i joined
	the dept.  since i had no experience with the book, i gave
	it a try... "hated it."

	my students were continually confused by it, since in many
	cases it tried to oversimplify or gloss over subtleties in
	the language.  as peter norton has stated, "c is the
	industrial strength programming language."  thus, it does
	_not_ lend itself well to oversimplification.

	since i had originally learned c from the c bible (k&r 1),
	i (fortunately) added this as the supplementary text for
	the course.  although it is terse, so is c, giving the
	reader an instant flavor for the language itself.  also,
	since c is _not_ a beginners language (refer to peter
	norton, above), k&r is perfectly suited for someone
	already familiar with programming concepts and ready to
	delve into the advanced concepts (& dangers) of c.

	for an alternate to the c bible, i would recommend
	andrew koenig's text entitled (sorry, need to refresh my
	brain's ram, can't recall the exact title): "c programming:
	traps & pitfalls"

--
Wallace Roberts, AG (formerly GTE) Communication Systems, Phoenix, AZ
UUCP: ...!{ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!robertsw