Calling C from FORTRAN under Unix

Charles Packer packer at amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue May 21 00:31:57 AEST 1991

I received 15 e-mail replies to my query, (two since I started
writing this followup) -- thanks to everyone! Almost all of
them, with varying degrees of certainty,  suggested appending
an underscore to the subroutine name in the C source module and
compiling and linking as usual. This included one reply from an
Ultrix 4.1 user.

But we have Ultrix 4.0, (on a VAXStation) and buried in its
manual is material that tells how to call C from FORTRAN. It
requires an intermediate language they call "JBL." Underscores
are irrelevant.

To prove that I'm not making this up, below is an excerpt from
the source I used to test the scheme by filling an image array
in Fortran and passing it to C, which in turn called a display
routine.

FORTRAN------------------------------

	BYTE IMGDAT(0:511,0:511)
	.