pointer sizes, was: Re: What does char **ch mean?

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Tue May 21 06:53:42 AEST 1991

In article <466 at smds.UUCP> rh at smds.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:

| My observation is that funny architectures and such don't matter as long
| as your code in lint clean -- you never see the problems because you follow
| the rules that avoid the problems.  However these fussy rules are only
| for portability freaks.  If your friend is only going to have one job in
| his life, work on only one machine in his life, and only use one compiler
| I see no reason why he should worry about these issues.

In supporting a C compiler for a funny machine (the Data General
MV/Eclipse), this is mostly true.  The one exception is calls to
qsort, bsearch, etc.  where invariably the wrong type of pointer is
passed to the comparison routine.  Lint doesn't catch it because it
loses the argument type information.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

You are in a twisty little passage of standards, all conflicting.