64 bit architectures and C/C++

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Thu May 2 04:57:58 AEST 1991

In article <13229 at goofy.Apple.COM> turk at Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:
>I would suggest:
>short	16 bits
>long	32 bits
>long long	64 bits
>int	UNSPECIFIED
>void *	UNSPECIFIED

What on Earth do you mean by "UNSPECIFIED"?  An implementation MUST
make a definite choice here.  The C language standard already contains
all the requisite specifications.

Note that a standard-conforming implementation is obliged to diagnose
use of any construct such as "long long".  Therefore that is a stupid
extension.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, however, given that the
APW C math library functions were declared as returning type "extended"
rather than the type "double" required by the C standard.  It didn't
dawn on them, apparently, that "double" would have best been
implemented as SANE extended format in the first place.