low level optimization

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Fri May 3 03:36:43 AEST 1991

In article <22841 at lanl.gov> jlg at cochiti.lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
>If it is done by a
>post-translation tool, then it _is_ standard conforming.

Why do you have this hangup about "post-translation"?

ANSI says *nothing* about how code is produced, yet, obviously, the code you
write must be executed somehow.  Some systems, such as Saber-C, will execute
as they translate (or, perhaps, do a quick translation and then execute the
intermediate results).  Others can require you to type in 42 commands to
produce an executable that you can then run:  each of those 42 steps is part
of the "translation" process as, jim so ignorantly puts it.

The unix linker is, essentially, part of the "translation" process for C on
unix.  So there is no "post-translation" optimisation.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."