Need Assembly lang. to learn C?

Dave Gillett dgil at pa.reuter.COM
Fri May 31 14:16:06 AEST 1991

>In article <1991May21.175914.3681 at rodan.acs.syr.edu>, ldstern at rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) writes:

>> To all: a local instructor, who teaches C, has told several of us who
>> are interested in his course that we should take an Assembly language
>> course first.  Even though his course is C in the DOS environment and
>> a knowledge of 8088/80286 would no doubt be useful, we are wondering
>> if this is really necessary.

     I recall that, the first time I attempted to read K&R (1977?), I could
not seem to get a handle on what was going on in this language.  By 1981, I
had had various levels of exposure to several assembly languages, and going
back to K&R everything seemed to fall into place.

     There are some weirdities of the DOS/80x86 world which percolate through
to minor extensions or convenient macros provided by DOS compiler vendors,
such as memory models and near/far pointers.  If you've already seen this
stuff, your C instructor won't have to review 80x86 CPU concepts in the middle
of the C course....
     Of course, programs that use these features sacrifice portability.  But
it's also true that at least half of the "how do I ...?" questions from DOS
programmers involve learning about those features; programs that don't use
them look pretty lame compared to programs that do!
                                                           Dave