C language book recommendations

Igen Magyar Istvani magyar at betwixt.caltech.edu
Fri May 10 06:45:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991May8.023819.15085 at ritcsh.csh.rit.edu> rayc at ritcsh.csh.rit.edu (Ray Cardillo  ("Truck")) writes:

> A very good book indeed, however the best recommendation would have to be the
>book called 'C' by Dennis Ritchie and ?. Kernigand.  A very good book (
>Ritchie wrote most of the language he should have a good book!

Well, K&R is OK - we use it here at 'tech for our intro to programming
course.  However, I find that it is not very useful either as a reference
or for learning the language.  The book only hits the _very_ high points of
C, dealing mostly with structured programming instead.  It virtually ignores
most of the .h files, and gives almost no information on the use of the
myriad functions provided in them.  After a year of dealing with K&R, I've
finally decided to go to my favorite bookstore on Colorado Blvd. and find
a _good_ book for C.

Ted Turocy
magyar at through.cs.caltech.edu