looking for interpreter / macro language facility

Guido van Rossum guido at cwi.nl
Wed May 29 00:32:23 AEST 1991

ajb at miles.WPI.EDU (Arthur J. Butler) writes:

>hi.  i am looking for advice and/or suggestions on an interpreter or
>macro language facility which i plan on adding to my application. [...]

>	within this macro language, i need to at least to
>	a) be able to call functions within my program.
>	b) be able to use control and loop constructs.
>	c) define and use simple variables.

>my program will be written in C/C++ to be run in a UNIX workstation
>environment. [...]

This was one of the purposes why I developed Python.  Python is an
interpreted programming language with high-level data types (strings,
lists, associative arrays; everything unlimited in size and garbage
collected) and provides all the features you request.  It is also
object-oriented.  Its syntax is intended to be as clear as possible,
to allow a quick start for casual users.

Python is normally used as a stand-alone interpreter, but hooks are
provided to add Python as an extension language to existing
C applications.  I have no experience with hooking it up to C++
applications yet.  I do know that Python is written quite portably.

Python is freely available.  It is still under development; I hope to
distribute a new version this summer.  If you try to do unusual things
with it, I am eager to hear about your experiences, and willing to
help hacking the code (or to point out where to start hacking).

See the attached availability sheet.

--Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam <guido at cwi.nl>
"The life of a Repo Man is always intense"

Availability of Python and STDWIN
=================================

Python and STDWIN were posted to alt.sources around february 1991.
They should be available from sites that archive this newsgroup, such
as wuarchive.wustl.edu.  I also post patches to this group.
(I will post the entire source to comp.sources.misc when I think the
products are a little bit more finished.)

Python and STDWIN are available from a number of ftp sites.
The * in file names is the version number, e.g., 0.9.5 (the last digit
is the patch level).

Current version numbers are 0.9.1 for Python and 0.9.5 for STDWIN.

Site		hp4nl.nluug.nl (IP address 192.16.202.2)
For whom	users in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe
Note		the same archive is also accessible via mcsun.eu.net
Directory	pub/windows
	File	stdwin*.tar.Z
Directory	pub/programming/languages
	Files	python*.tar.Z
		pythondoc[12].ps.Z
Directory	pub/comp/mac/compiler
	File	Python.hqx

Site		wuarchive.wustl.edu (IP address 128.252.135.4)
For whom	users in North America
Directory	usenet/alt.sources
Note		Raw alt.sources archive, see README there.  Grep -i the
		Index file for "stdwin" or "python".

Site		gatekeeper.dec.com (IP address 16.1.0.2)
For whom	users in North America
Directory	pub/misc
	File	stdwin*.tar.Z
Directory	pub/misc/python