n bit architectures and C/C++

Dale Worley worley at compass.com
Fri May 24 00:19:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991May22.235538.9548 at ichips.intel.com> chrisj at pdx041.intel.com (Chris Jones) writes:
   Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to do this...

   typedef int24 int       /* This program needs to use 24 bit integers     */
   typedef int35 long      /*  and 35 bit longs.  No matter what it takes.  */

If I remember correctly, PL/1 allowed "DECLARE BINARY(24) FOO;".  And
the much-maligned Cobol has "PICTURE IS 9999".  (That's one reason
businesses like Cobol -- it's actually portable.)  In Pascal you can
say something like "x : 0..32767" to give an explicit range, I think.

Dale

Dale Worley		Compass, Inc.			worley at compass.com
--
Trying to shoot yourself in the foot in:
Prolog: You attempt to shoot yourself in the foot, but the bullet, failing