What does char **ch mean?

Orville R. Weyrich orville at weyrich.UUCP
Sat May 4 16:20:07 AEST 1991

I am studying for a C language exam, and a study guide I am using states
that the declaration char **ch; is equivalent to char *ch;

I am having difficulty understanding this. My interpretation of the
declaration char **ch is that we have a pointer to a pointer to a char.
I think that this would be equivalent to the declaration char *ch[]
rather than what the study guide says.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

orville.

Orville R. Weyrich, Jr.                          Certified Systems Professional
Internet: orville%weyrich at uunet.uu.net             Weyrich Computer Consulting
Voice:    (602) 391-0821                         POB 5782, Scottsdale, AZ 85261
Fax:      (602) 391-0023                              (Yes! I'm available)