Simple question.

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Thu May 2 03:03:11 AEST 1991

In article <24528 at well.sf.ca.us> ron at well.sf.ca.us (Ronald Hayden) writes:
>> Could someone please tell me if it is possible to read a string with
>> scanf() and not have the string printed on the screen.
>
>scanf() will always echo the characters, but getchar() won't...

Wrong; on any sane system, scanf() and getchar() use precisely the same
machinery for getting characters, and both normally echo them.

Note:  "on any sane system".  The fact is, this is an operating-system
question, not a C question.  C provides no standard way to do it.  This
question should be asked in some operating-system-specific group, like
comp.os.msdos.programmer.  Looking at comp.lang.c's Frequently Asked
Questions list might also be fruitful, since this is an FAQ.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry