Calling LISP from C (QUERY)

Ted Dunning ted at nmsu.edu
Thu May 23 08:10:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991May22.180731.4991 at Think.COM> barmar at think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:

   In article <1096 at redford.UUCP> bill at redford.UUCP (Bill Poitras(X258)) writes:
   >I am trying to take some common LISP code which has some very complex
   >algorithms and interface them to C.  The specifics:

   What you generally *can* do is load C object files into a running Lisp.

it is often simpler to connect a c program an a lisp program with
something like a pair of pipes, or a socket.  then you can write code
which allows the either side to (effectively) call procedures on the
other side.  this sort of home brew remote procedure is often much
more portable between lisps and c programming environments than any
foreign function interface.

an additional advantage is that the debugging of each side is not
disturbed.  it is much harder to debug c code when it is loaded into a
lisp image.

--

if feeling bad is a justification for not living,
    then living is a justification for feeling good.