Implicit decimal points in floating-point reads

Jon J Thaler DOCTORJ at SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
Wed May 22 15:24:00 AEST 1991

In article <16222 at smoke.brl.mil>, gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) says:

> In article <5366 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> brotzman at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
> > My question:  is it possible to read data that are formatted with implicit
> > decimal points in ANSI standard C without writing my own routine?
>
> No, there is no Fortranish support for that in *scanf() formats.
>
> > I'd be surprised that such an obviously useful bit of functionality
> > that has existed for decades in FORTRAN isn't available in C, ...
>
> What is obvious to ME is that such a format is an accident waiting to strike!

I agree.  I programmed in FORTRAN for 20 years (before seeing the light...)
and never saw the need for laziness at this level.