missing ->= operator

Eize Oosting eoo at let.rug.nl
Mon May 6 20:26:43 AEST 1991

In article <clary.673114059 at pv031e.vincent.iastate.edu> clary at iastate.edu (Clary Jeffrey Scott) writes:
>In <1667 at gufalet.let.rug.nl> eoo at let.rug.nl (Eize Oosting) writes:
>
>>In article <9104291641.AA00534 at dutiaa.tudelft.nl> schuller at DUTIAA.TUDELFT.NL (Schuller Schuller Oijen) writes:
>
>[explanation of ->= operator deleted]
>
>>>Now C has all these wonderful operators : a += 7, g &= 0xf, etc, etc.
>>>But the ->= operator is missing! You cannot do mygodptr ->= next; !
>>>All of you who want to fill this gap, please react. Flames to /dev/null.
>>>Bye! Hildo Biersma, schuller at dutiad.tudelft.nl
>
>>It sounds wonderfull, but it would ask for an Object Oriented style, and
>>C is just not OO. Maybe this would be something for C++.
>
>Please elaborate on why       ptr ->= next
>is "object oriented" than     x += 5

It's not the left part of the assignment which would be OO, but it's the
right part. The field 'next' is completely unknown as an legal value.
But you can read all of this in article 19705 (I believe). There someone
explains exactly why 'ptr ->= next' cannot do and 'x += 5' can. Sorry guys.

|   Letteren-    |  Marvin Minsky once defined Artificial Intelligence as: |
|   Faculteit    |   '... the science of making machines do things that    |
| R.U. Groningen |   would require intelligence if done by men'.           |
| The Netherlands|                                                         |
|                |  Does this include formatting a floppy?                 |
| eoo at let.rug.nl |                                           Eize Oosting  |