time(0L) - history of a misconception (was Re: SCO password generator)

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Sun May 26 08:15:30 AEST 1991

In article <1991May25.002706.27552 at kithrup.COM> sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>...Talk to Henry, Doug, or Chris about such things; I'll just get
>into an argument and end up calling you a fool or worse.  (HGoC might
>*think* so, but I don't think they'll *say* so.  Well, actually, I'm not so
>sure about that, now that I think about it.)

Chris is an extremely nice and amazingly patient guy and doesn't say such
things.  Doug and I have our limits. :-)

Actually, the people Len really wants to talk to are the IBM AS/400 people,
whose machine is an exception to almost every naive misconception about C
you have ever seen.  Rumor hath it that if you think "ANSI C *surely* could
have promised XYZ instead of the watered-down version they actually gave us",
there is a high probability that the AS/400 was a major counterexample.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry