UNIX System V and 4.1C BSD

jsq at ut-sally.UUCP jsq at ut-sally.UUCP
Sat Aug 13 06:16:20 AEST 1983

We've gotten a number of similar comments since we posted the 4.1C/V paper,
so here's yet another posting about it in lieue of individual replies.

Why did we post so many pieces?  Because the whole thing is 123Kbytes
and we've seen much smaller things get trashed by USENET.  What happened
to the backspaces in the underscored words?  They came through alright
on our local systems, but somebody's news software out there stripped them.

We did not post the troff source because the paper is in -mm format
(for logistical reasons having nothing to do with the relative merits
of the various macro packages) which would make it useless on most
Berkeley systems.

Those who have bought the Toronto USENIX proceedings will find a copy
of the paper formatted on a Morgenthaller Linotron 202 phototypesetter.
(You can apparently still buy the proceedings by sending a check for
thirty dollars U.S. (plus USD 5.00 for overseas postage) to *arrive* by
30 August 1983 to Usenix Association, P. O. Box 7, El Cerrito, CA 94530.
Include your name, address, postal code and telephone number.)

The copyright on the paper was intended only to prevent people *selling*
copies of the paper (with the exception of the USENIX Proceedings).
Anyone who already has a copy should feel free to make more copies
and distribute them to their heart's content as long as they copy
the *whole* paper, *including the copyright notice*.  Properly attributed
quotations in other papers are of course permitted.

Nroff-formatted copies exist on UUCP and ARPANET as:
ucbvax				~uucp/4bsd-vs-usg5
{decvax,seismo,ut-sally}	~uucp/{compare,compare.[1-3]}
utexas-11.ARPA	~ftp/compare.doc (login ftp, password anonymous)

If you really want a well-formatted paper copy and can't get it from
Usenix or your neighbor, send us your Snail address and we will send
you a copy.  Unless we end up spending too much time mailing copies....

John Chambers, {ihnp4,ut-ngp}!ut-sally!jbc, jbc at utexas-11.ARPA
or
John Quarterman, {ihnp4,ut-ngp}!ut-sally!jsq, jsq at utexas-11.ARPA