USENIX incompetence

Rob Wood rob at genrad.UUCP
Thu Dec 15 02:32:02 AEST 1983

I posted an article about receiving the same tape back from USENIX with
the dull side out.  Today I received a call from their office explaining
what happened.  Each time, they sent me a new tape.  They moved the label
over to the new reel each time with my membership number, so the tape
just appeared to be the same.  I was able to read the tape on my machine.
They, and many other responders to my article, pointed out that there are
some manufacturers that make tape that way.  The reel I have is Scotch 700,
and a call to our dealer said that it is not the dull side, but appears
to be duller than the inside.  I have learned.  I thought after 3 tries
I was safe in posting to the net.  Had a letter or note been returned with
one of the replacement tapes, this might all have been avoided.  If I had
called them direct it might have been avoided.  I am sorry for the insin-
uaton in the title of my article.

I also received a call from a Director of USENIX.  She said that the office
would be happy to send me a copy of the complete financial report.  She
also wanted to hear of any other problems I felt with USENIX and that the
directors were interested in feedback.  I shall send her my comments.

The net works.  I received many nice comments from people about the tape
problem, and some response from 2 people within USENIX.  I shall approach
the organization with a more positive attitude now.

	Rob Wood  (decvax!genrad!rob)