Are conferences less important these days?

Erik E. Fair fair at dual.UUCP
Thu Dec 15 13:12:49 AEST 1983

For me, the conferences are serving two purposes:

	1) Learn about what's going on else where.

	2) Get away from the office & meet some of the people
		out there face to face.

At the Toronto conference, I learned quite a bit. There were two
presentations given in the implementation sessions on real time data
aquisition with UNIX which I had heard zilch about before, in spite of
the fact that I have been reading netnews regularly for two years
(nearly since the inception of the net). In essence, there are still
things going on out there in the real world that the net knows nothing
about which come out in the conferences.

As for #2, don't most of you like to do that too?

	going to Washington by hook or by crook,

	Erik E. Fair	{ucbvax,amd70,zehntel,unisoft,onyx,its}!dual!fair
			Dual Systems Corporation, Berkeley, California