It's not Usenix!!!!!

Lauren Weinstein lauren at vortex.UUCP
Thu Dec 8 18:18:45 AEST 1983

I've been talking with the Usenix board about the current Uniforum
situation, and there's a point they've mentioned that apparently
isn't very widely known.

My friends, the Washington conference is almost totally under the COMPLETE
control of /usr/group.  Period.  Usenix is really involved in name only
and has no control over the operational aspects of the conference.
Oh yeah, they can pick the papers to be presented in their sessions,
but /usr/group is controlling the total environment.  Apparently
this business about requiring badges and such was first brought
up by /usr/group some time ago -- Usenix screamed bloody
murder and /usr/group backed down -- or at least CLAIMED to have
backed down -- it looks like they changed their minds.

I've also been warned that the hotel is grossly inadequate for the
size of the conference -- with only one "big" room and 2 small
additional rooms.  It appears that it's going to be a real dog and
pony sales show, friends.  One possible way to approach this situation
might be to NOT attend and wait for the SLC technical conference.
Frankly, the last couple of Uni-conferences I attended were bad enough,
so I'm not thrilled at the prospect of this one setting an all
time low.

--Lauren--