/vendor/group

Mike O'Dell mo at seismo.UUCP
Sun Dec 4 00:53:18 AEST 1983

The reason you are required to make a preference is because the
rooms reserved are "smaller than one would like," to be diplomatic,
and they want to put the largest meetings in the larger rooms.

As for the entire fiasco, ALL the arrangements, including contracting
with the 1938 German National Conference Corporation, are the doing
of /vendor/group, er, /usr/group.  Moreover, there are only 800 hotel
rooms reserved for the meeting.  It wasn't like they weren't told that
Toronto, "the meeting noone would attend", drew almost 2000 people.

The president of /vendor/group is one Michael Florio.  I am sure he
will appear at the opening session, so get a good look at his face,
and then strong-arm him and tell him, to his face, what you think of
his organization and its ability to organize conferences. There will
be other people wearing /usr/group BOARD MEMBER badges, so you should
puth the strong-arm on them, too.  But be careful, one other board
member is the famous "Jean Yates, internationally-known Unix expert."

Incidently,
the supposed ineptitude of Usenix for organizing meetings was claimed
to be one of the factors which prompted organizing /usr/group.

Unix was once the counter-culture operating system.  Maybe this meeting
will tap some of that spirit again.  While we probably cannot change
the leopard's spots, we can sure as hell complain about it sharpening
its claws on the furniture.

	Wondering where it all went awry,
	-Flamin' Mike  O'Dell