Comments on USENIX Bylaws

Mike Blake-Knox mbk at psddevl.UUCP
Sat Dec 24 03:11:17 AEST 1983

I spoke to Deborah Scherrer (the board member concerned with the new
by-laws) yesterday. She explained a number of the points that concerned me.
In the same order as my original points, her comments were:

1) Delaware corporate law requires that 25% of the members be able to
   reject a by-law amendment using the 'speedy' procedure in article 13.2.

2) She has noted the point about no requirement to have an annual meeting.

3) Ditto re secretary's records.

4) The new classes of member will have the same fees as their existing
   counterparts.

5) Apparrently, article 13.1 implies that the Board is required to submit
   a set of by-law ammendments proposed by anyone (even non-memebers) to
   a vote.

With her comments in mind, and her assurrance that the above points will
be considered for a future set of amendments, I am going to vote for the
bylaws. Interestingly enough, the reason there is so little time for the
procedure is that USENIX will have no members as of January 1 as no 1984
membership fees will have been paid.

Mike Blake-Knox