On the floor of summer USENIX 83

Brad Templeton bstempleton at watmath.UUCP
Sat Jul 16 09:36:59 AEST 1983

Moments from USENIX for those who could not make it:
	(probably not in the procedings)

- A nasty session with the AT&T rep.  Hissing whenever he said that
  some new system was "truly a sophisticated ....", which he did,
  several times.   Alex White asked why they didn't send anybody real,
  he got a round of applause.

- "Sex, Drugs and UNIX(TM)" buttons were a hot item.  You did not get
  these from people at HCR, and they were not worn by non-hcr high-ups
  whose initials are not M.T. or R.B.

- Also popular were the old Waterloo "There's only 1 TRUE brace style"
  buttons and ones that said "If SOURCE is outlawed, then only outlaws
  will have SOURCE".  A person very similar to me had on a button that
  said "Nuke Lady Arwen for Christ".  No offense to L.A.

- A good reception at the Science Centre.  With this great fancy place
  to explore, several people could think of nothing better to do than
  to look at the Science Centre's Vax.  A rather interesting laser display,
  where Usenauts, pretending they were from the great unwashed, suggested
  you would make a laser lens out of wood, very small rocks or a duck.

- Two Andy Tannenbaums, which caused some confusion.  If the one from
  Vrije (sp) university had not worn a BTL badge, it might have helped
  clear things up.  I made this mistake myself.

- Not at all a complete set of unix box vendors at the show.

- B NEWS SUCKS buttons, even one for Mark Horton, although I'm not sure
  he put it on.

- Good IMAX show at the Cinesphere.  All the standard ones plus a few
  I had not seen.  Hail Columbia was quite good.  David Yost of Fortune
  gave alb at harpo a Hail Columbia button at the show.  Many die-hards stayed
  to 3 am.  I hope they did not show up at the 8:30 am session!
  Thanks to Fortune systems.  Renting the Cinesphere must have cost them one.
  IMAX may become a regular USENIX feature.
  We learned that Americans and Canadians are both capable of making
  strongly moralistic IMAX documentaries.

- The balance of the sexes in the UNIX community is getting better, but
  only slightly.  Only a couple of women were at Gred Wood's net.singles
  party.

- Only one vicious session, that on "cat -v considered harmful" by
  Rob Pike of BTL.  The UCB vs. BTL split in the unix community seems to
  be getting nastier!
--
	Brad Templeton - Waterloo, Ont. (519) 886-7304