Aspartame might cause brain damage - text of article

Stephen Dyer dyer at wivax.UUCP
Sun Jul 10 14:34:04 AEST 1983

Wurtman's argument that carbohydrates combined with aspartame might lead to
increased levels of phenylalanine (an essential amino acid) in the brain,
and then warning ominously of brain damage, is a perfect example of
experimental results which are completely irrelevant to ordinary experience.
His studies use extremely large doses of phenylalanine--much larger than one
would ever find in an ordinary person's diet, with or without aspartame.

The amount of aspartame equivalent in sweetening power to one teaspoon
of sugar is 20 milligrams.  Since aspartame is roughly 1/2 phenylalanine,
we are talking about 10 milligrams of phenylalanine.  This is FAR below the
daily requirement for this amino acid (which is roughly 1000 milligrams
+/- 600 mg.--I don't have exact numbers) which we receive in a balanced diet.
In other words, the contribution of aspartame to a person's phenylalanine
intake would be quite low, even for someone who ingested many foods sweetened
with the substance.

Lastly, one should not confuse the as yet unknown effects of a higher level of
phenylalanine in the brain with the syndrome known as PKU (phenylketonuria.)
Children suffering from this disease cannot break down phenylalanine, and hence
begin to concentrate the substance in their brain and other tissues, causing
mental retardation.  Normally, phenylalanine is broken down in the brain to
form neurotransmitters such as dopamine and norepinephrine.  Now, elevated
levels of phenylalanine may very well have behavioral effects in normal humans.
BUT, such levels cannot be achieved by ordinary dietary means, with or without
aspartame.

Steve Dyer
decvax!wivax!dyer
sdyer at bbn-unix