Tutorial sessions in Dallas, announcement and call for speakers

Mike Tilson mike at hcrvax.UUCP
Mon Aug 27 08:40:54 AEST 1984

This is a preliminary announcement and call for speakers for
tutorial sessions at the Winter Usenix meeting.

The Winter Usenix meeting will be held in Dallas Texas, at approximately
the same time as the /usr/group UniForum show, but not at the same
hotel.  The two activities will be complementary rather than
competitive.  The UniForum show will place greater emphasis on
the trade show and upon sessions oriented towards commercial use
of UNIX.  The Usenix conference will be a purely technical conference:
There will be no trade show and no marketing-oriented sessions.
The conference is being held simultaneous with UniForum for the
convenience of those who wish to attend a large trade show, while
at the same time being able to attend a smaller very technical
conference in a nearby but different location.

In particular, as with previous Usenix conferences, there will be
one day of tutorials.  Since more introductory tutorials will be
held as part of UniForum, the Usenix tutorials will concentrate on
more advanced technical topics.  We plan to offer about seven
different tutorials, all one day in length, with a maximum attendance
of around 150 per session.  These will be held on Wednesday,
January 23, 1985, at the Fairmont Hotel in Dallas.

Several of the tutorials will probably be restricted to UNIX source
licensees.  In order to facilitate license verification, attendance at
these will be restricted to persons from Usenix institutional members
with previously verified licenses.  If you are planning on attending the
licensed tutorials, you might want to make sure that your institution is
a Usenix member, as paperwork and license verification should not wait
until the last minute.  Further information on costs and benefits
of institutional membership can be obtained from the Usenix office
at 415-528-UNIX.  (+1-415-528-8649 for European readers without
letters on their telephone keys.)

Further information will be published shortly; some of the above
details may change, so wait for a final announcement before booking
hotel rooms and flights.

We are in the process of finalizing a schedule, and we would like
to hear from anyone who is interested in giving a technical tutorial.
We will pay a speaker's fee as well as transportation expenses, etc.
We also handle the duplication of handouts from your camera-ready
copy.  You must provide your own overheads or slides.

If you wish to give a tutorial, please provide an outline of your
proposed course, along with some background information about
yourself, to:

	Michael Tilson
	Human Computing Resources Corporation
	10 St. Mary Street
	Toronto, Canada   M4Y 1P9

	416-922-1937

	{decvax!utzoo}!hcr!hcrvax!mike

Time is very limited.  Please respond before September 6, 1984.