Summer USENIX call for papers

Paul C. Lustgarten pcl at hlexa.UUCP
Mon Feb 20 13:39:44 AEST 1984

After squinting through a number of the talks in Washington, I'd like to
propose that an additional rule be imposed on presentations at the
Summer USENIX:  Any speaker employing viewgraphs that are not readable
from the *back* of the conference room should be summarily ejected from
the conference!  :-)

Seriously, I see no excuse for speakers using standard sized printing
(10 point?) on something they expect others to read from 100 feet away.
I have found 14 point type to be necessary for presentations in a room
that's only big enough for 15 people; I expect 16 or 18 point type would
be necessary for something like USENIX.  If you don't have an output
device that produces large enough type, then either:

	a)	Find someone who does - there are lots of such devices
		around.  Furthermore, anyone presenting a paper at
		USENIX probably has a number of friends on the net who
		could be asked for assistance.

	b)	Draw your viewgraphs by hand!  Even if you don't have
		art-department quality lettering, it *still* will be
		better than something that the audience has no hope of
		reading.

	Paul Lustgarten
	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Short Hill, NJ
	ihnp4!hlexa!pcl