Government interferes with USENET?

Dick Dunn rcd at opus.UUCP
Tue Nov 13 16:27:25 AEST 1984

> I guess writing about the internals of a Computer is restricted information
> and could cause death and destruction to all mankind?

More likely, the worry is that it would interfere with the development of
our ability to cause death and destruction better than anyone else!

> Maybe the Government should encourage communications between people instead
> of putting up barriers all the time.  Would the U.S. be were it is today if
> only the "top-secret" cleared scientists were able to exchange information on
> advanced topics and the rest of us "uncleared" personnel could only talk about
> new ways of preparing meatloaf salads?

A particularly good point.  There seems to be an increasingly large faction
in our government which is madly possessive of our "scientific knowledge"
and "technological superiority" - and the less they understand it, the more
possessive they are.  I'm afraid we're working full-time to shut down
science in the U.S.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.